The members of the Canaan Congregational Church would like to offer our sincerest gratitude to the many firefighters and support personnel who bravely fought the devastating fire that engulfed our “little red church” on Monday, November 6.
No other nearby buildings were damaged.
We are grateful and send our highest praise and thanks to each and every firefighter, from the companies initially on the scene—Canaan; East Chatham; Lebanon Valley Protective Association; Red Rock; and Richmond, Massachusetts—to those fire companies who offered mutual aid from Niverville, Austerlitz, North Chatham, Tri-Village, Chatham, and Spencertown.
In addition, we are thankful for the efforts of the Chatham Rescue Squad, New York State Police, Columbia County Sheriff’s Department, Columbia County Fire Coordinator’s Office, Columbia County Cause and Origin Team, and NYSEG. The East Chatham Auxiliary with the generosity of Love’s Truck Stop kept the firefighters nourished and hydrated.
Not one person was hurt in the conflagration.
Finally, we wish to extend our deepest thanks for the outpouring of support from so many people in our community. We are currently holding our Sunday services at the Canaan Fire House, which they so generously offered to us.
Sunday Services begin at 10:00 AM. Simply come as you are. Bring a friend. We’ll be looking for you!
December 3: 1st Sunday of Advent
- Sermon: “The Coming of Christ: ‘Son of David’”
- Scripture: Isaiah 9:2–7
- Holy Communion
December 10: 2nd Sunday of Advent
- Sermon: “The Coming of Christ: ‘Prince of Peace'”
- Scripture: Isaiah 11:1–10
December 17: 3rd Sunday of Advent
- Sermon: “The Coming of Christ: ‘God With Us'”
- Scripture: Isaiah 40:1–5, 9–11
December 24: 4th Sunday of Advent
- Sermon: “The Coming of Christ: ‘Savior'”
- Scripture: Luke 2:22–35
December 24: Evening Service Carols and Lessons, time and place to be announced
We Are an Open and Affirming Church
What does “Open and Affirming” (ONA) mean?
- It is a public covenant of welcome to persons of all sexual orientations, gender identities, and gender expressions.
- It is a United Church of Christ (UCC) designation.
- It is for congregations, campus ministries, and other UCC bodies.
- Everyone is welcomed into full life and ministry.